Monday, November 28, 2011

The Bike Incident


I rode my motorcycle to Thailand during the Hari Raya holiday at the beginning of September, 2011. It was an awesome time. From where I was in Thailand to my place in KL is about an 8 hour bike ride. I did it there in two day and I almost made it back in about the same time. However, about 40 km from my home I noticed a small flicker of fire under the speedometer. I managed to pull over to the side of the road safely. By the time I pulled over the fire (that I could see) looked like someone lighting a lighter under the speedometer. I tried to blow it out, but that didn’t work. Within two minutes the fire was at a size that I knew it wasn’t going to stop. This was a Sunday at the end of the biggest holiday in Malaysia and traffic was pretty heavy. My biggest concern was what would happen when the fire lit up the recently filled gas tank. I thought it was probably going to blow up and I was worried that debris would hit a passing car. The reality was that when the fire spread to the tank, it just shot flames up about eight feet in the air for a few minutes.


I want to say that the police, fire, and ambulance were on the scene almost immediately and were generally pretty awesome.


How did I get home? The highway patrol drove me to a train station where I paid a very high price for a taxi to take me home.


I got a new smaller bike that won’t be making any long distance trips about a week later.



No comments:

Post a Comment