Saturday, June 25, 2011

Teaching Strategies

For those of you who stumbled here from one of the teaching forums I frequent, I am going to try to share some of the teaching strategies/activities that have worked well for me.


Spaghetti Marshmallow Challenge

One of the courses I was teaching this semester was IGCSE English. The course included a unit on Wonders of the World. I wanted to find a collaborative project where students create their own wonder. I found the Spaghetti Marshmallow Challenge on the Internet.



Part One: Students answer comprehension questions about the TED Video
Part Two: Students collaborate and problem-solve in English to build the biggest tow.
Part Three: Students write a reflection about things that went well and how to improve in the future.


The first team to finish.


Largest tower in less than 18 minutes.


Largest tower ever! Took more than 18 minutes though.



Review Board Games

I’ve seen and heard of other teachers using board games as a course review. I tried it with my IGCSE English class and found it worked really well.

Period One: Plan the game and the materials they will need to complete it.
Periods Two and Three: Creating the game.
Period Four: Students play other teams’ games.

Here are some of the finished products:









Hop Scotch

My wife Lyna was teaching toddler and nursery classes at the same school I was teaching at. She was spending many evenings cutting up numbers and animals. I couldn’t figure out exactly what she was planning to do. Here is the hop-scotch game she created for her class. At the end of the semester I could see a lot of wear and tear on the game. I guess that means the kids liked it.











Pig Man

This is not a teaching strategy, but an excellent piece of graffiti I would pass any time I chose to walk to or from school.




No comments:

Post a Comment