Friday, April 29, 2011

After the Wedding



On the Kowloon side of Victoria Harbour with Hong Kong at our backs. I doubled as both groom and wedding photographer. About a year ago I bought a Canon SLR camera thinking it would automatically increase the quality of my pictures. Turns out it doesn’t work that way. I still mostly use the automatic function because I really don’t know anything about what the settings mean. These pictures could just have easily been taken with my Canon Powershot. It doesn’t matter though because SLRs are a mandatory fashion accessory in Asia. We’re on the bottom rung of the SLR club. The real status is achieved through lens size. I have promised I won’t buy a special lens until I understand how to use my camera properly.





Me: You know you’re only going to wear this for one day, right?
Her: Yep
Me: You know this is going to end up in a closet for the rest of our lives, right?
Her: Yep
Me: You are aware that this is about six times as expensive as I thought it would be, right?
Her: No I wasnt aware of that.
Me: You know, with that amount of money we could………….
Her: …………..
Me: You look lovely in it dear. Let’s get it. 








She doesn’t look worried that my first act as a married man was to march into a 7/11 and buy a tallboy of Heineken. With the benefit of hindsight I now know that’s because I was about to have my beer budget cut by about 80%. I just didn’t know it yet. Look at how blissfully unaware I am. 













We had lunch at TGIFriday . We had 2 for 1 Electric Lemonades and 2 free shots of tequila. We stumbled out of there at about 2 pm. Awesomeness!





Hong Kong is lit up better than usual during CNY.  On the night of the actual Chinese New Year celebration we stayed in our prison cell like room because a) the streets were too crowed for my liking and b) we were unaware of how spectacular the fireworks and lights would be until we saw them on TV a day or two later.





We ended the night at New Makati disco in Wan Chai. I went to the toilet for two minutes and when I got back, Lyna told me some jerk in a Mexican hat tried to pick her up. Honestly, what did he think his chances of success were on that one? Anyway, he thought he was a cool party guy wearing a Mexican hat so I stole it and I became the cool guy.

After the disco, we took the subway back to the Chung King Mansions and called it a night.

As I write this post three months after the fact, I wish I could go back and do it again. I guess that means either the wedding was great or my life has gone significantly downhill since then. 



No comments:

Post a Comment